Tahereh Mafi has gained another fan. While I was unfortunately underwhelmed by Shatter Me, Unravel Me knocked my socks off. It was exciting and fun and I was completely engrossed the whole time.
With the first installment of this trilogy (although it’s soon to be a longer series) I was a little put off by the elegant writing style. I had a hard time following the audiobook. Unravel Me was easier to understand and this time I found that the writing style enhanced rather than detracted from the story.
The world is much more complex than I realized reading the first book. Far from being the freak of nature she believed herself to be, Juliette is one of many special people with incredible abilities. I was not expecting this to be a super powers story, although I guess I should have. I’m not sure what to make of the political climate of this world. The dystopian setting seems to take a backseat to Juliette’s self discovery and her ever complicated love life.
Speaking of our protagonist, I enjoyed Juliette much more in this book. She continues to grow more confident in her abilities even as her opinions about Adam and Warner are challenged. I’m not sure how I feel about Adam anymore. Though he has good reason, he’s a little angsty for me and he’s unnecessarily shady about his powers in my opinion. Warner, however, has completely stolen my heart. He’s one of the most complex characters I’ve read and he fascinates me. Kenji, of course, continues to be hilarious.
I loved this book. My affection for Unravel Me makes me look at Shatter Me with new eyes. I’m sure that if/when I reread it, I will enjoy it more than I did the first time. If Ignite Me is as good as everyone says, this will definitely be one of my new favorite series. 5/5 stars for sure.
I hope you all enjoyed this post! Please leave me a like and a comment if you did! Thanks so much for reading 🙂 I’ll talk to you guys in the next one!
My first attempt at a Top 5 Wednesday post! I’m very excited to have joined the Goodreads group created by @gingerreadslainey and hosted by @ThoughtsOnTomes. Hopefully you like this post and I will definitely be participating in T5W in the future! The Goodreads group for Top 5 Wednesday can be found at https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/118368-top-5-wednesday if you want to join!
So, here are my top five angsty romances:
- Hanson Alister and Raisa Ana’Marianna from The Seven Realms series by Cinda Williams Chima – I absolutely adore these characters and this series. Han and Raisa have to overcome so many obstacles both together and separately before they can even think about being together. I was on the edge of my seat wondering if they were going to beat the odds.
- Jace and Clary from The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare – Okay, so I have only read the first three books in this series, but there is plenty of angst in them so I feel like I can still include this couple on this list. I’m sure there is even more angst coming for me in the rest of the series and I am both dreading and looking forward to it.
- Lochan and Maya from Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma – This is the ultimate angsty romance. I did not even know how to feel about this romance as I was reading this book because it is literally forbidden. So much angst, so much stress. Beware going into this one for some potentially triggering content.
- Caleb and Maggie from the Paradise duology by Simone Elkeles- After a tragic accident that occurs before the start of the book, both Maggie and Caleb are just trying to move on with their lives. Varying degrees of circumstance draw the two together and they have many problems to overcome with themselves before they can begin to tackle the problems they have together. I love this duology.
- Jesse and Suze from The Mediator series by Meg Cabot – A romance between a human and a ghost is guaranteed to be angsty. Now before you get mad, that’s not a spoiler you are fully aware that one of them is a ghost before the book even starts. I love this pairing; they are so cute together, but it is extremely stressful watching them try to triumph over circumstance to be together.
Hope you enjoyed this post! If you did, leave me a comment. I would love to talk!